Re: RMAN error

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:08:07 +1000

As I see it, your script creates and maintains a database copy. Each run
applies the previous level 1 backup to the copy and creates a new level 1
backup. Because the copy is already up-to-date to the last level 1 backup, you
cannot restore until a point in time before that. That is, in the test, you can
only restore to a point after the 15/07/11 backup, as your backup on 16/7
already has rolled the copy forward to that point. As the script that you show
does not create any other backups apart from the copy, you cannot restore the
database in the way of try 2 because there is no other level 0 incremental
backup available to base the restore on.

This is all theory of course, but it follows that you should be able to restore to any
point in time between the last backup (i.e. 15/7/11) and the moment of
"failure". I haven't tried it, though.

Hope this helps.
Tony

On 14/07/11 00:27, mek s wrote:
I am trying to test backup restore in this case, *why I am not able to restore
my database to any point of time within the past 3 days of my recovery window?*
I am changing my laptop time settings to simulate a daily backup of 13, 14 , 15
and 16 of July 2011.

My backup Script is:

|## Supports     : 10g and 11g only
CONNECT TARGET / CROSSCHECK BACKUP;
CROSSCHECK ARCHIVELOG ALL;
# Incrementally updated backup.

RECOVER COPY OF DATABASE WITH TAG'LVL0_MERGE_INCR';
BACKUP CHECK LOGICAL INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 CUMULATIVE COPIES=1 FOR RECOVER OF
COPY WITH TAG'LVL0_MERGE_INCR'  DATABASE;

# Switch current logfile to archive
sql'ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT';
# Backup archivelogs
BACKUP CHECK LOGICAL AS COMPRESSED BACKUPSET FILESPERSET 10 ARCHIVELOG ALL
DELETE INPUT;

# delete obsolete backups
CROSSCHECK BACKUP;
DELETE NOPROMPT OBSOLETE;