Re: RMAN - correlating Backup Media to RMAN Catalog

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:05:57 -0700

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Allen, Brandon
<Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  I'm not positive, but I don't think there is any way to do it other than
> editing the table directly (which is most likely not supported by Oracle).
> I don't think RMAN actually uses that media value for anything though – it's
> just there for reference.  It also won't tell you if a backup spans more
> than one tape at the time of the original backup, and won't give you
> anything very meaningful at all if you're backing up to a Netbackup disk
> pool instead of straight to tape.  When RMAN queries Netbackup for the image
> during a restore/duplicate/crosscheck, it just queries based on the client
> name, policy, image/file name and maybe date/time (not positive on the exact
> pieces of information it uses to look up the backup image – but it's
> something close to that) and then Netbackup looks it up in its internal
> catalog and pulls the requested backup image from whatever media it
> currently resides on.

Thanks, an ML search had shown the tape spanning problem, and crosscheck
verified the query method.
I also don't recall the exact columns that make up the keys for the RC_%
views.

It would seem that there would be some provision for updating the MEDIA ID.

In the event that you want to request media out of storage, it would be nice
to just be able to query
the RMAN catalog and discover the correct media ID's.

As it, the only way to get that info is query the NetBackup catalog by date
and policy.

Jared Still