RE: RMAN catalogs

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:46:38 -0500

Mike,

We have one Enterprise wide repository database that holds lots of tools
schemas.  In this database, we have Rman catalogs for 9.2 and 10.2
databases (two schemas).  For each database, we use the rman executable
with the Oracle home for that database.  So all 9.2 databases use 9.2
Rman and all 10.2 databases use 10.2 Rman.  Each connects to the correct
repository.  The Rman catalog are small enough where this is not an
issue for us.

The Rman database itself is backed up using a separate Rman catalog that
exists in an OID/LDAP database on another server. Optionally, you can
simply export the Rman catalogs when no backups are running as a more
simple method of protecting that data.  But creating another Rman
catalog in another database seemed like a better idea to me.

Hope this helps.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this
transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  In addition,
unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law,
including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.