RE: RMAN catalogs

  • From: "Ken Naim" <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Michael.Kline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:45:42 -0500

I backup rman via a simple hot backup script and a full datapump export
immediately after backing up all my primary databases, and since the catalog
database is tiny both of them complete in a matter of seconds. Both are
useful for different reasons, your hot backup file incase of a physical
failure and the export incase someone messes up the catalog or as a poor
mans source control, you can just drop the schema and import it and it works
like a charm.

I spoke with oracle support about this a while back, they recommend the
export but I do both and have used both in the past.

I never bring down the catalog unless I need to, for upgrades or server
issues primarily. 10g can backup oracle version 8.1.7+ if I am not mistaken
an the only restriction is that the catalog (schema) must be of the highest
version you are backing up, in your case you must have a 10gR2 catalog but
the catalog database can be any version you want. You always backup with the
client of the same version that the database is running.

Ken

  _____