Re: RMAN catalog standard edition

  • From: mhthomas <qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:15:05 -0500

Hi,

The OEM packs will run on SE depending on how its configured, on 10g
web-based EM. Legal configuration can be done by clicking on 'Setup'
(e.g. on the top-right of the <host>/em/console/aboutApplication) and
next click on the menu 'Management Pack Access'. I'd guess many shops
have inadvertantly configured it 'illegally' because they don't
understand the SE license restrictions (which cripple the product).
I'm sure its one of those great salesman/woman 'gray' areas that are
similar to $1500USD car mats at the auto dealership. ;-)

It makes no sense to me why certain Database Configuration pack items
are special (extra cost) access: e.g. Patch Database and View Patch
Cache, and Patch staging.
Is Oracle saying patching is unimportant for SE since these features
are not included by default in EM? Yes. Why even allow SE customers
Metalink access? ;-)

In my opinion, marketing 10g (SE specifically) as simplifying DBA
tasks for a small shop, and then excluding features from EM is counter
productive. The whole Database Configuration Pack should be included
with SE, if Oracle was serious in marketing to SE customers. The other
packs, e.g Diagnostics and Tuning, are critical for non-DBA shops on
10g as well.

Having said all that, I really don't care what Oracle does with EM
because its good for my consulting business when customers who don't
have DBA's are screwed by Oracle. BTW, I also support other databases
which EM does not do if you buy it. :-)

Regards,

Mike