Re: RMAN catalog operations taking 128 seconds per file - where is the bottleneck (and no guessing)

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:48:27 -0600

Charles,

RMAN on a recovery catalog is just another database application, and figuring out performance issue in an RMAN recovery catalog database is the same as for any other database supporting a "3rd-party application" in which you have limited (or no) ability to modify the SQL.  It could be as simple as coming up with a sensible stats-gathering plan, to adding appropriate indexes (after checking for Oracle patches that do the same), etc, but there is no sense guessing at it without gathering actual evidence.

Employ SQL tracing in the recovery catalog database initiated with an AFTER LOGON database trigger such as the one here, interpret the output using TKPROF or Hotsos/Method-R profiler or TRCANLYZR, and rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps...
Tim Gorman
consultant -> Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.
postal     => P.O. Box 630791, Highlands Ranch CO  80163-0791
website    => http://www.EvDBT.com/
email      => Tim@xxxxxxxxx
mobile     => +1-303-885-4526
fax        => +1-303-484-3608
Lost Data? => http://www.ora600.be/ for info about DUDE...

On 10/13/2010 1:59 PM, Charles Schultz wrote:
Thanks, Jared, looks like it could quite possibly be unpublished bug 7444008. I hate bugs. Still, I am curious, what exactly is the root problem?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 14:45, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good day, list,

What would cause an RMAN catalog operation to last a relatively eternal 128 seconds?

There are a number of notes on MOS regarding RMAN performance, you
may want to check there.

IIRC there are some indexing issues, though I can't recall any version #'s.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

--
Charles Schultz