RMAN catalog operations taking 128 seconds per file - where is the bottleneck (and no guessing)

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:05:18 -0500

Good day, list,

What would cause an RMAN catalog operation to last a relatively eternal 128
seconds?

The stats I have collected so far:

   - Sun T5440
   - 256 virtual processors at 1.414MHz
   - 128gb ram (76gb swap - I know... I didn't set it up)
   - 65 databases
   - Truss shows a lot of parking and sleeping, but not much else.
   - Trace event 10046 is similarly not giving me much help.
   - Running an RMAN 10.2.0.2 Duplicate command on a database with 164
   datafiles.
   - Controlfile is 22mb with a keep time of 7 days.

As I file a case with Oracle, where else can I look to find the TRUTH of why
this is running so slow*? Sysadmins are telling me there are no host
bottlenecks evidenced by OS tools.

Fortunately, this is not a rush. At this point, I am more curious than
anything else, and I am concerned that this significant slowdown
is symptomatic of a deeper issue.
So, no guessing allowed (*nod to Alex Gorbachev*). I am asking you all to
help me find what the real problem is. =)

*slow: means I ran this operation on different databases (same host) three
times in the past two days, not to mention countless times prior to that. I
expect catalog operations to be fairly quick, fast enough that cataloging a
list of files usually scrolls off the screen before I can read them all.

--
Charles Schultz