RE: RMAN backup with KEEP option not restorable

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:05:35 -0400

start and end should be listed tablespace by tablespace in the alert log.

IF that turns out to be the root cause you should be able to specify end
backup on the recovery file(s); none should be able to have fractured blocks
created via RMAN, which reads Oracle database blocks rather than operating
system sectors.

I am a little puzzled by the statement "with RMAN as a full hot backup"
since the term "hot backup" was a synonym for physical backup as long as I
can remember (and it predates RMAN.) If those words appear in some
operations instructions it could well confuse someone into issuing begin
backup commands before moving on to RMAN. That would not be the plan.

Good luck. Please do let us know if you find the root cause; any unexplained
troubles with recovering Oracle tend to make the hair stand up on the back
of my neck.

Were you in fact recovering with RMAN as well?

If you used RMAN to produce images of the files, but then used physical
recovery rather than RMAN to start up a physical standby and were testing to
see that you could open it, then you would need to specify "using backup
controlfile" or a controlfile that was synchronous with the vintage of the
files which it seems unlikely to produce without the database at least
quiesced.

Clearly I am a bit confused about what you are trying to accomplish and the
methods you are using.

mwf