Re: RMAN backup validate

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 23:23:42 -0400

On 03/14/2015 07:36 PM, Hans Forbrich wrote:
On 14/03/2015 1:53 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
You should also do a full restore periodically to verify the validity of your recovery plan. At least every 6 months.

In paper, I agree ...

As long as we have identified a recovery plan, and possibly even have have distinguished between HA and DR - which some do, and some don't - it is a great idea to test whether the recovery plan actually works and whether people involved in implementing it actually can do so.

I do note that some organizations have a variety of recovery ideas, and sometimes even formal plans, for a variety of situationsing ; tier 1 might involve RAC, tier 2 might involve local Standby even Active DG, tier 3 might involve offsite DR practices.

I also note that the recovery plan can not be limited to the database piece. Too many apps have hard-coded stuff, such as database server names or IP addresses. Testing the recovery plan must involve more than just checking whether we can restore the database.

I finally note that good DR readiness is blinking expensive, is based on analysis that few actually do, is generally Pi in the sky, and is rarely really supported by management other than "of course we need it". It would be interesting to create a Jeremy poll to find out how many actually do perform end-to-end recovery plan testing.

/Hans
happy Pi day everyone

Hans, I agree with you completely. However, I would like to add things like SAN snapshots and "merge backup" strategies (incremental recovery of a copy in FRA), which can further make the disaster recovery quicker and more effective. What you have listed (RAC, local standby, remote standby and backup) are traditional means of recovery. Merge backups and SAN snapshots are relative novelties which can really speed things up.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA