RMAN backup on RAC w/ ASM

  • From: Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 11:51:19 -0700 (PDT)

This is probably a real newbie question..  I'm working on a new installation of
RAC, and am testing an rman backup/restore. (I've done many rman
backup/restores before on stand-alones.) I am puzzled why the process seems to
go thru without error, but the data is not actually restored. Does anyone have
a clue what I'm missing?

I have a two node rac installation, and am storing the backups using ASM. I did
all the work on node1 only.. Here are the steps.

1. log on to rac node1. create a table named tester. and insert 3 rows into the
table, commit.
2. alter system switch logfile;
3. do a full rman backup + an incremental (from rac node1)
-- backups are stored in ASM
4. drop the table named tester. (from rac node1)
5. shutdown the database, mount one instance only (rac node1)
6. restore database; recover database; alter database open; (on rac node1)
7. bring up the instance on node2 as well.
8. connect on node1 and select * from tester -- the table does not exist.

Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks in advance..

ChrisK