RMAN archivelog all behavior

  • From: Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:11:52 -0700 (PDT)

It appears from our testing that archivelog all is
only useful when a database has been created new and
all of the archive log files are available.

We have many databases that have been upgraded several
times and are very old.  The original archive log
files have long since gone to the great bit bucket in
the sky.  If we have correctly tested, this mean that
archivelog all is not available to us as an option in
RMAN.  We will probably be using Unix shell scripts
and RMAN to accomplish what we had expected to
accomplish using archivelog all.

Before going down this road, I would like to hear from
anyone with experience using this RMAN command.  Have
we missed something?  Is it possible to use it with
older or upgraded databases?  If so, can you point me
to the documentation?  I am a real fan of RTFM, but I
think I have not found the right manual.

=====
Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group