RE: RMAN and filesystem backups

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:03:50 -0600

We do what you describe on most all our databases - hot backups for
Production DBs and cold for Dev and Test DBs.  Works just fine.  We have a
.../backup/stage and seven day-of-the-week directories such as
.../backup/Sun, .../backup/Mon.  For the smaller Prod DBs, we keep 7 days
of backups on disk, rotating through.  On bigger Prod DBs we keep at least
3 days of backups, not 7, to save space.  We keep at least 3 to ensure
that the tape backup has a couple of nights to get each set, since the
RMan backups and tape backups may be going on simultaneously.

On our Dev and Test DBs we just do a weekly cold backup and only have
.../backup/rman and .../backup/rman_prior.  Each cold backup cleans out
.../rman_prior, moves .../rman to .../rman_prior, then does the backup.
That gives the tape backup a week to get the files.

To save space we back up a tablespace at a time and then gzip those files
before backing up the next tablespace.  We have a SQL script that
dynamically generates the *.rcv file that drives the backup.  The core of
it looks like this (the &1 parameter is the full path to the
.../backup/stage directory):

Select 'Backup Incremental Level 0 Tablespace ''' || Tablespace_Name ||
''' ;' || Chr(10) ||
       'Host ''gzip -1 &1/*_s*_p?'' ;'
From   DBA_Tablespaces
/

Hope this gives you an idea of how it could work in your environment.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Fred Tilly <ftilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

Has anyone set up an environment where they run RMAN (hot) backups to
disk and then move the backups to tape using a standard filesystem
backup, then remove the older backups from disk.

Does anyone see any problems with doing this ?

Thanks

Fred