Re: RMAN and filesystem backups

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:12:28 -0600 (CST)

> Has anyone set up an environment where they run RMAN (hot) backups to
> disk and then move the backups to tape using a standard filesystem
> backup, then remove the older backups from disk.

That's what we do here, although it's (much!) preferable to let RMAN purge
the backups in order to maintain it's sanity.  If you purge them manually,
you'll need to at least crosscheck your RMAN repository afterwards.  If not,
there's potential to run into errors when doing backups.  At least I did, on
10.1.0.5.0, when I ran out of diskspace due to a bug in the retention policy
and I forgot to crosscheck after manually removing (many) old RMAN backup
files.

The downside is that you will need some manual intervention in recovery
should those backup files be needed but don't exist in the location where
RMAN originally put them.  I understand this caveat and still think it's
worth the tradeoff vs. purchasing the 5-figure license to have our RMAN
backups go direct to the backup subsystem (in our case, Tivoli).

HTH!  GL!

Rich