RMAN and Veritas NetBackup

  • From: Dave Bruce <dbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 16:44:27 -0400

We are experiencing some issues with our Oracle backups. We have discovered that when an RMAN backup scheduled by NetBackup (via an Oracle specific class) runs into a problem, like a media error or no tape drive available it just stops running. The backup people see a NetBackup job just sitting there doing nothing and have to kill it to clear it. Usually when running an OS backup, if NetBackup encounters these types of errors it will retry a number of times over a given period of time which typically results in a valid backup being run. According to our backup people we have to go into the RMAN shell scripts and mimic this behavior (retrying a number of times over a period of time). How are other sites dealing with this issue?

NetBackup - Version 4.5

Dave Bruce
University Systems
University of Guelph