Re: RMAN and Netbackup....

  • From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx" <cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:46:25 -0700 (PDT)

We  have issues with the overall time direct to Netbackup RMAN backups take;
it's considerably longer than writing to disk and letting the nightly server
Netbackup  process run.  It was a show-stopper for  us so we use the 'write to
disk and let the O/S Netbackup process take them to tape' approach.

David Fitzjarrell
Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:11 PM, Chris Grabowy <cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Today RMAN sends its backups and archive log files to disk and then Netbackup
backs up the database backup directories.  I linked Netbackup with Oracle and I
did some simple backup and restores using RMAN with Netbackup.  Everything
seems to be working.  I have been reviewing the Netbackup 7.5 for Oracle Admin
Guide.

About one third of our databases are still on 10.2.0.4 but being upgraded to
11.2.0.3 soon.  We are currently hosted on HPUX and glacially being migrated to
RHEL.

I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice, pointers, links, gotchas
when switching RMAN to use Netbackups.

TIA!!

Chris