RE: RMAN Peformance and how to optimise

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:12:36 -0800

John,

If the number of tape and RMAN channels were equal to the number of drives
available, then you will have optimized tape streaming during backup (saves
backup time) as well as restore time. Increasing the number of channels will
not solve, but only degrade your backup (and restore) timings. Why don't you
look at disk pooling or staging (I know that is available in ADSM now
Tivoli, maybe it is available on Legato 7?) We had a similar issue (with
just normal files) 4 - 5 years back and I am speaking with that in mind...
(so YMMV)!

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **