RMAN Image Copies

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:39:27 -0500

List - Has anyone worked a significant amount with RMAN Image copies? Or,
better yet, compared image copies to RMAN backup sets?

I am designing a new RMAN configuration. Our environment Solaris, Oracle9i,
mixed Standard and Enterprise Editions, but with eventual conversion to 10g
in mind.

I have Robert Freeman's great Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery book in
front of me. Thank you Robert!

One requirement is the ability to schedule cold backups, especially if where
is any reluctance  to trust RMAN. It seems that an image copy fits
requirement. From what I see, you could recover the database from image
copies just as if they were created by copying the files (not use RMAN), and
I can use this to fulfill the cold backup requirement. Has anyone tried
this?

Freeman states that datafile (image) copies are registered in the RMAN
catalog. Will reports like REPORT UNRECOVERABLE take datafile copies in
mind?

Then he notes that RMAN may use a datafile copy to restore a datafile if it
is more recent. Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone chosen to use Image copies in preference to backup sets?

Forgive me if the formatting of this message makes it hard to read. New
laptop, new Outlook, more "helpful" features.