Re: RMAN Backup Question - FILESPERSET

  • From: "Mark Strickland" <strickland.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:39:30 -0800

What I understand is that RMAN will not split datafiles across
backupsets/pieces.  Normally, a backupset contains one backup piece, except
when the backupset will be larger than what the file system or media manager
can handle.  In that case, the backupset can be split across multiple backup
pieces:

"RMAN will, by default, put the entire contents of a backup set into one
backup piece, regardless of the size of the backup set. If you are backing
up to a file system or media manager that has a limit on the maximum file
size that can be created, then you may need to restrict the size of backup
pieces that RMAN will create.To restrict the size of each backup piece,
specify the MAXPIECESIZE option of the CONFIGURE CHANNEL or ALLOCATE
CHANNELcommands. This option limits backup piece size to the specified
umber of
bytes. If the total size of the backup set is greater than the specified
backup piece size, then multiple physical pieces will be created to hold the
backup set contents."

What I need to be able to do is to put more files into each backupset, not
split files across backupsets.  In my situation, I have to "trick" RMAN into
doing that by setting MAXSETSIZE to a very high number.

Mark