Re: RMAN Backup Check/verification

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:11:36 -0700

Funny thing about RMAN;  the REPORT and LIST commands still don't tell you
what you really need to know.  For instance, REPORT NEEDS BACKUP only tells
you what datafiles have not been backed up.  Does that really answer the
question of "Have I backed up what needs to be backed up"?

I've posted an early version of a report that tells you what you really need
to know (i.e. can I recover from an online backup and recover to a specified
point-in-time?) on http://www.EvDBT.com/tools.htm.  There are several
variations on this in the script "rman_chk_nocatalog.sql" (for use in the
target database), "rman_chk_catalog.sql" (for use in the recovery catalog
database), and "rman_chk_test.sql".