Re: RHEL to CentOS

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <riyaj.shamsudeen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 19:41:24 -0700

IIRC, ACFS kernel modules does not load properly in centOS kernel. We had
to customize a bit.

Unless you have a pretty good reason, I'd stay with supported distribution.
On May 24, 2015 3:00 PM, "Hans Forbrich" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 24/05/2015 10:15 AM, David Hicken wrote:

One of my client's SysAdmins wants to move their Oracle 11.2.0.1 DB from
RHEL 5 to a version of CentOS (5?). I have never done his kind of thing. I
googled but couldn't find anything definitive.

At the same level (examples: RHEL 5u4, CentSO 5u4, Oracle Linux 5u4 : RHEL
6u5, CentSO 6u5, Oracle Linux 6u5) the distros are clones of Red Hat.
This means that from an API perspective, they are generally compatible.
Oracle Linux adds a second kernel which, when used, can give Oracle
products an edge.

However, some software checks the kernel or some files in /etc to
determine whether you are running a legitimate environment. Many Oracle
installers do check and highlight the mis-match but can be convinced to
allow the install anyway.

Years ago, I switched from CentOS to Oracle Linux as it is built from the
same sources as CentOS and Red Hat Linux, but Oracle Linux is available
free (no paywall to download, and free of license cost by GPL), ... AND
Oracle has a public YUM repository at http://public-yum.oracle.com that
can be used for the same level of 'support' as CentOS provides for free.
You don't need to get a support contract for Oracle Linux, and it is legit
to get a contract for some machines and not for others - you are on your
honour to not provide 'paid support patches' on an unsupported machine. (A
supported machine also can be monitored by Cloud Control, and has things
like KSplice and DTrace available.)

/Hans