RESEND :Multiple ORACLE_HOMEs for 9iRAC on Linux

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:06:58 +0800

I have been trying to install additional ORACLE_HOMEs to
run seperate  Database environments on an existing 9iRAC
Linux Cluster.
The Oracle Cluster Manager ["CM"] can be running only from
the first  installed ORACLE_HOME.
However, I want to use additional ORACLE_HOMEs to run
seperate databases.

10g, I believe, does require the CRS to be a seperate
ORACLE_HOME.

On Tru64, I had no problems installing a seperate ORACLE_HOME
owned by a  seperate Unix account.
The second installation could detect the cluster.

However, on Linux, as the ClusterManager actually runs from
the first  ORACLE_HOME, when installing a new ORACLE_HOME
the Installer seems to be unable to detect that it is a  cluster.
It does not use the "ps -ef" commands to search for a
running CM.  It just runs the "lsnodes" command.  As there is
no "lsnodes" in the new ORACLE_HOME/bin, it thinks that
I am not running a  cluster.
I got around that by copying "lsnodes"  {and a corresponding library}
from  the CM ORACLE_HOME to the new ORACLE_HOME.

After having detected a cluster and installed the RAC option,
and then  applied the 9.2.0.5 patchset correctly, I then manually
created the database
[dbca kept failing on identifying the directory for the control
files as a  raw device inspite of passing the -datafilesDirectory option].

Then, on startup of the second database instance, I get errors
like
"SSKGXP_IP: Primary interface down
operation cannot open cmcfg.ora
location clusterip1
error No such file or directory
Wed Dec 15 16:21:58 2004
cluster interconnect IPC version:Oracle UDP/IP
IPC Vendor 1 proto 2 Version 1.0
SSKGXP_IP: Primary interface down
operation
location
error Block device required
Wed Dec 15 16:21:58 2004
SSKGXP_IP: Primary interface down
operation cannot open cmcfg.ora
location clusterip1
error No such file or directory"

Obviously, a "cmfcfg.ora" files does not exist the second
ORACLE_HOME.  A soft-link to the "oracm" directory in the
first ORACLE_HOME allows this database instance to detect
and start using the Cluster Manager.

A TAR with Oracle Support hasn't helped much.  Support first
asked me to  run "lsnodes" when it didn't exist in the second
ORACLE_HOME.  The next analyst pointed me to Note
235932.1  which seems to be about using the right installer
to install a patchset [9.2.0.3] into  the RAC ORACLE_HOME.

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital