Re: RE: stdby and Oracle licensing

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:24:25 -0700

Sadly, "Oracle Sales" is the *last* organisation
you should believe on this subject.  While I don't
think they consciously *lie*, I do know that they
are commonly *wrong*.  In fact, "almost always"
might be more accurate...  (Although, to be fair,
I usually only ask the really "tricky" questions.
Like rules for partitioned servers.  Let's not go
*there*!)

As it happens, "Standby" (DataGuard) is a feature
bundled with Enterprise Edition, and does not
carry a separate licensing fee.  Contrast this to
"Partitioning", "Spatial", or "RAC", which are
"options", and *do* require separate licenses.

So, in that sense, Oracle Sales did not lie.  They
just failed to mention that although the software
needed to implement Standby is "free", the database
server itself is not.  "Oops".

By the way, if you read the OLSA, you'll find that
Oracle Sales gets a "Get Out of Jail Free" card,
in the form of a clause entitled "Entire Agreement".
Under this, they can *tell* you *anything*, even
in writing, but it doesn't mean a thing if it
contradicts the OLSA.

You gotta read the fine print...  ;-)

Anyway, have the rules for licensing Standby
Database *servers* changed?  Not in at least 3
years.  Maybe longer.  But I'm sure that they
*have* changed at some point...  :-)