Re: RE: is Oracle evil? About former Sun Open Source @Oracle

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:08:12 +0100

I think the issue is precisely that no notice was allegedly given, though
this does seem to have occurred about 3 months after the takeover became
final.

On 2 Aug 2010 15:28, "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I don’t think many people do - I think it is a small minority of people
that think they are evil for this. They are a business and it makes sense
that they would not provide free service to a competitor. It is just bad
news that PostgreSQL has lost those servers. Hopefully Oracle at least gave
them reasonable notice, but PostgreSQL should have seen it coming and
prepared for it if they were smart.

As to mutating triggers, if I recall the Multi-version concurrency builds
all changes as new blocks that will replace the old when the transaction
completes, thus you still see the old blocks query-wise. Tradeoffs to
everything, but we had several cases were we would have had to deal with
this if It’d been oracle we had been using.