RE: RE: interview question on schema design

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>, <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:28:37 -0500

Sigh. I've never expected carpenters to do a decent job of attaching two
pieces of wood together with screws and a hammer, either.

Creating a schema that serves its functional uses well is an integrated
activity. Neither programmers or schema designers should work in a vacuum.

The legitimate question is whether you can build a better application using
a good schema with two way understanding. I echo Codd in claiming that it is
always true that a better and more robust solution can be built using the
relational model than any other. It might be possible, as with entropy, if
everything is perfect you can get a tie (but as we know it is never true
that everything is perfect.)

mwf