RE : datapump export to pipe

  • From: Bertrand Guillaumin <bertrand.guillaumin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:22:47 +0200

Hi,
You just need to use the filesize option of expdp  in order to limit the size
of each file and launch it in the background with your zipping script
monitoring your directory every minute or so.
Since you'll have only one or two files(with maxsize valued at your expdp
filesize option) at the same time the space overhead will not be that important
Of course it's not as easy as just use the compress option and even a little
bit complicated but it should work.

Best regards,
Bertrand Guillaumin
De : oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] de la part
de Rich Jesse [rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Date d'envoi : jeudi 8 octobre 2009 16:09
À : oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: datapump export to pipe

Hi Christoph,

> i played around with this a little yesterday. Instead of using a pipe, i
> just used a shell script that monitors the datapump directory. Whenever a
> new file of a certain naming convention appears, the script monitors its
> size. Once it stops growing or reaches the size matching the export filesize
> parameter, it zips up the file and moves it to another directory.

That may indeed work, but one may need substantial disk space in order to
support the raw datapump export in the meantime.

If a datapump export file is similarly sized to an equivalent exp dump, it
would mean that I would need to request an additional 100GB+ for the
overhead just to support a single 7.5GB compressed dump.  And we're a small
shop...

Rich