RE: RE: SGA Fragmentation - How to Monitor

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:31:35 -0500

Thanks.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546

________________________________

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:56 PM
To: Patterson, Joel
Cc: Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx; karlarao@xxxxxxxxx;
moovarkku.mudhalvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RE: SGA Fragmentation - How to Monitor

Joel, this is about shared pool fragmentation not keeping blocks in the
SGA. Any PL/SQL intensive app is likely to benefit from this, assuming
they've packaged routines appropriately

        On Mar 10, 2010 6:47 PM, <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        I really can't answer definitively one way or another.  If it
was good
        for you under 8 and 9, then of course you know for versions 8
and 9.

        The thinking has always been in the past (oracle 8 and 9), when
the
        subject came up, especially with tables, that the least recently
used
        algorithm employed by oracle would purge essentially keep the
hot tables
        anyway and so there wasn't any point in pinning them.

        Now I'm sure you have more detail than that, but thought I'd put
that
        out there for consideration for whatever it might be worth.

        Joel Patterson
        Database Administrator
        904 727-2546

        -----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx