Re: RE: Really Strange Problem

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:47:09 +0000

Also look for other servers running the same os that you might have missed
(because say Apache is configured to autostart). Or, flavour, of my week
this week blame unspecified server configuration issue - though to reproduce
the insanity properly you'll need a clear error in the logs and confirmation
from development that its a known bug before blaming the nebulous. :)

On 12 Nov 2010 17:41, "Amaral, Rui" <Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 both the servers going simultaneously indicates OS. Even with the san going
away or all connectivity being lost something would still get written
indicating the problem and the fact that it's clean then all of a sudden you
see start up messages in the oracle logs indicates to me that an immediate
reboot (OS crash if you will) happened with Oracle having no chance to
write. Like Kevin indicated in scenarios like that there would be messages
captured by syslogd but typically would be lost in those types of cases.
However, there are ways to try and capture them going forward:

1) enable netdump on the servers. Netdump runs in it's own protected memory
and would be able to dump those messages prior to the machine rebooting. I
have had SA's do this with some success

2) disable the reboot so that SA's can eith iLo into the box, or manually
connecting a terminal to the box, to do screen capture of the messages then
manually restarting the box which we have also used with some success
(especially in the very early days of ocfs)

3) or enable remote syslog capture (though I am not too convinced of this
one) :

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch05_:_Troubleshooting_Linux_with_syslog

Like Niall I suggest you looking at the OS cron - the timing is just too
conspicuous. Make sure updatedb is not scheduled to run.

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG
TD Bank Financial Group