(RE): Normalization

  • From: ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:21:40 +0000

Jared,
I agree partially, but not 100%. I find that with read-only data, it is often
extremely useful to use temporary tables to 'pre-join' large tables that are
frequently used in the application. This can significantly improve performance
of queries.
This is especially useful on multi-table joins with large tables that have
range scans(likes and betweens in queries). Significantly cuts down logical IO.
BTW, can someone post a link to the original article? The funny thing is that I
have taken graduate level database classes and they are almost all theory. The
professors I have had are all about normalization... Might be one of those
'University of <make up a name>' graduate schools that business use to try to
make their courses sound more academic.