Re: RE: How does Oracle keep B-tree indexes to 3 levels?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:39:17 -0000

I believe the following covers the significant
points - but I am not certain how accurate
it is:

B-tree splits 50/50 on full

B+tree does the same, but leaf nodes have
    forward and backward pointers

B*tree attempts to move rows to adjacent
leafs if they can, and split 2 leafs into 3 if
they can't (and maintain forward and backward
pointers).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof
 March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar: