Re: RE: How do you rotate OEM 12c paging different DBAs on the team....

  • From: "kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx" <kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mcunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mcunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Grabowy <cgrabowy@xxxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

I don't see a response to this last email, so I'll chime in.
Considering the setup you're currenrly using with rule sets, etc.  I'd enhance
this with a notification schedule, (can be located in the Setup menu).

A. Decide who will be oncall and for how long, via a calendar and plan out for
vacations/time off. As far out as possible.  If six dbas, then you need to
build out a six week notification schedule.
B. Create a super user called dba_page and add the sms text address for all
dbas in the group used for paging.
C. Logged in as this user, go to notification schedule.   Choose to edit it,
choosing a rotation that fits your schedule, (weekly, every six weeks, etc)
when I had 3 dbas, we did a three wk rotation in the notification schedule.
D. You can bulk fill by day and hour, so weekdays, populate with all the email
addresses if you want or leave them blank if you want this "user" to NOT
receive notifications during business hours, (let email for standard user
handle it...)
E. For the night time hours, choose the first person to go oncall, (I choose a
Monday date to start by to ease rotation).  Fill in bulk for all hours on
weekend.
Choose next week and do the same for the next DBA...
F. So on and so forth till you've built out a schedule that makes sense and
will rotate accordingly.
G. Save the schedule.
H. View the schedule and make sure the notifications and time look correct,
along with the first time it starts over is populated correctly with that first
dba.

Done.  I know this sounds like a pain, but once you get the hang of it, you
should only do it once a quarter to bi-annually outside of a schedule change.

Regards,
Kellyn Pot'Vin
Consulting Member of EM Technical Team
Strategic Customer Program