Re: RE: 11g RedHat 5 and Hugepages

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:33:20 -0700

My point is that it isn't a per app server connection problem.  I know
one customer who thought that just 2 connections per app server was
ok, but they had 5000 app servers.  Needless to say their db system
was very unstable.

From experience I've seen a 10x reduction or more in db connections
result in 3x or more throughput gains with reduced transaction times.
The impact of such a large number of processes is very significant on
the kernel and scheduler.  For whatever reason, apps people think they
need way more connections that is really necessary.  Sometimes it's a
result of "connection squatting" (holding connections for longer than
the required db requests take), so their solution was simply to add
more.  Similar to how some fix cursor leaks - they just set
open_cursors so some crazy large number so the error messages stop.

I'm hesitant to believe that one needs a 130:1 (75000/576) db
connection to db CPU ratio to achieve the desire throughput if the db
connections are actually doing work.  In reality a 2:1 or maybe 4:1
ratio should be more than enough for connection friendly applications.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn