RE: RAT fully backported to 10g and 9iR2...

  • From: Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: JEREMY.SHEEHAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:43:12 -0400

I don't know how expensive it is, but you have to remember to factor in the
cost of having performance issues in your production databases after you
upgrade if you don't use a tool like this!

I used a similar tool called Laredo by Hotsos when we moved from 9i to 10g.  It
worked basically the same way at RAT, comparing execution plans before and
after a change.

I had several large and important batch jobs and some online transactions whose
performance would have been unacceptable if I had just done a straight upgrade
without seeing how the executions plans were going to change when we moved to
10g.

The cost of the software wasn't even close to the cost to the business if those
applications had performed poorly after the upgrade.

Patty

"SHEEHAN, JEREMY" <JEREMY.SHEEHAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent by:
oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
2009/10/07 01:14 PM
Please respond to
JEREMY.SHEEHAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: RAT fully backported to 10g and 9iR2...

Of course it's fully backported.  *wave of the hand* Oracle wants you to
upgrade....  SQL Server is not the RDBMS you're looking for.....

we've looked into it.  we've got a 9i DB that needs upgrading and we're
considering going to 11g, but it's just expensive.  the good thing is that you
can 'move the license around' if needed.  if one of our BU's purchases it, uses
it, no longer needs it (for a project) it can be moved around to another db and
so on....

Jeremy -----Original Message-----