RAID 1 or 10 for Oracle redo/control files?

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:56:09 -0600

Hey all,

I know this as been brought up before, but I've been having some difficulty
finding specific reasons for/against RAID 10 on Oracle redo and control
files.  Here's the info:

We're getting a SAN, whose initial use will be to house a few Oracle DBs.
I'm proposing that our ERP DB's layout include this:

        Redo 01 2 drives, RAID 1
        Redo 02 2 drives, RAID 1
        Control 01      3 drives, RAID 1
        Control 02      2 drives on server, RAID 1 (in case of SAN failure)

I've been asked to prove why the Redos shouldn't be RAID 10, because the
striping should allow for faster writes.  I remember reading that this was
nullified by the sequential nature of the writes, but I can't remember where
I saw this.

Cary?  Tim?  Jonathon?  Everyone else here that I forgot?

THX!
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxx           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA