RE: RAC upgrade from RedHat v5 to v6

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmorse2@xxxxxxxxx" <dmorse2@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 12:42:01 +0100

Don,

But does a reinstall really means that you would wipe your entire server?
I'm no linux admin, but I thought that if you had separate filesystems for the
OS (/ , /boot,..) and for Oracle (/u00, /u01,...) the content of the latter
ones could be preserved during a reinstall.
Separate from a relink you would possibly also need to recreate some additional
directories and symbolic links and change the contents of /etc/inittab and so
on.

Another possible scenario would be to perform a dropnode procedure, then
reinstall the server, followed by an addnode procedure.
This way a rolling upgrade is certainly possible.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator