RAC storage newbee question

  • From: Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 09:40:19 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this question.

We built RAC in a lab using VMs and now are planning to build on metal. We're
using ASM for disk storage management, so I requested raw disk.

I'm told by the storage admin that he can not provide raw disk. Although he
could provide raid 0.

So my question is:

If I ask the storage manager to provide disk that is already raid 0+1, and then
I create ASM disk groups using the "external" option. Is this approach any
better/worse than providing ASM raw disk to manage?

(I would use the external option so that I don't end up striping and mirroring
disk that is already striped and mirrored.)

Or would it be better to have him provide all the disks as raid0, and have ASM
handle all the redundancy?