RE: RAC questions

  • From: johan Eriksson <johan.eriksson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:13:17 +0100

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 04:26 +1100, Pete Sharman wrote:
> Load balancing can actually be done at a number of different levels.
> While Josephâs point that load balancing is done at the connection
> level is correct for 10gR1, in 10gR2 we have introduced run time load
> balancing as well.  Likewise, in 10gR1 the VIP was onlyused to
> failover to another node so that a client got an âinstantâ NAK
> returned when it tried to connect to the Virtual IP.  In R2,
> application VIPâs are introduced.  Application VIPâs are used as
> functional VIPâs which can be used to connect to an application even
> on failover.  The VIP is a dependent resource of the user registered
> application, and there can be many application VIPs (typically one per
> user application).

Application VIPs sounds like something I need to learn more about and
hopefully will find time to do in a near future.
But we problem we had was that after we brought back the second node all
new connections was made into the already busy node, no new connections
to the idle one and we had to restart all the nodes to make them spread
the connections.

/Johan