Re: RAC partitioning idea bounce

  • From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:42:03 -0500

Jed,
I would second Martin's comment that determining the fix requires that you
know what specifically the wait events are. You mentioned that the problem
was caused by contention on the table segments. Are you sure this isn't an
sequence or index contention issue? Inserting into the same segment isn't
necessarily a problem across RAC nodes unless one node is waiting for a
block being written to by another node.

Another issue I have seen is developers who insist there not be gaps in
their primary keys so they use a PL/SQL procedure to generate the key
instead of a sequence, which leads to unnecessary locking and lots of
context switching.

I just edited an article coming out in the next SELECT Journal that
addresses these exact issues. Make sure to take a look at that if you're
still working on this issue by then.

Seth Miller