RE: RAC on extended distance clusteres

  • From: Bryan Thomas <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:43:03 CST

Here is a quote from an internal Oracle Metalink article:

Real Applications Clusters (RAC) on Extended Distance Clusters is an
architecture that provides fast sub-minute recovery from a site failure and
allows for all nodes, at all sites, to be part of single database cluster.
These advantages have raised interest in the architecture, have led some
customers to implement, but it is critical to understand where this
architecture fits best especially in regards to distance/latency and degree of
protection, as well as some of the additional implementation complexity.

The high impact of latency, and thus distance, do create some practical
limitations as to where this architecture can be deployed. This architecture
fits best where the 2 datacenters are relatively close (<~25km) and where the
extremely expensive costs of setting up direct cables with dedicated channels
between the sites has already been taken. All of the known customers
implemented with distances less than 25km, and because of the performance
impact as the distance is increased it is unlikely they will be implementations
at distances greater than 25km.

RAC on Extended Distance Clusters does provide a greater HA than local RAC but
may not fit the full Disaster Recovery requirements desired. 25km is great
protection for some disasters (local power outage, airplane crash, server room
flooding) but not all. Disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and regional
floods will affect a greater area. Customers should do an appropriate analysis
to determine if both sites are likely to be affected by the same disaster.

RAC and Data Guard combined does provide more comprehensive protections not
covered by RAC on Extended Distance Clusters alone. This includes protection
against corruptions, users errors (in 9i), protection against regional
disasters, and support for full rolling upgrades across Oracle versions.

Configuring an extended distance cluster is more complex than a local cluster.
Specific focus needs to go into node layout, quorum disks and data disk
placement.

Bryan Thomas
Senior Performance Consultant
Performance Tuning Corporation