RE: RAC on extended distance clusteres

  • From: "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "stellr@xxxxxxxxxx" <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:20:22 +1100

Well, you got me there, it should have been "fell" and I'd never heard of Paddy
Martin, so that makes us even!  :)

I'm not saying it won't work, it will and we have customers doing it.  But to
me it's trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  Use a big enough
sledgehammer and you can do anything I guess.  However, if your data is that
important to you that you want to make it highly available, then use the right
technology for the right problem.  HA is hard enough as it is without doing
weird and wonderful things to achieve it.  Just using RAC with extended
clustering technology does not give you the full gamut of HA that you can get
using RAC for machine failover capability and DataGuard for site failover
capability.

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA