RAC on KVM- is that possible?

  • From: Martin Bach <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:43:31 +0000

Esteemed list members,

has anyone ever set up RAC virtual machines using KVM? I am about to have Fedora 12 installed on my PC. The virtualisation guide and the official sources state that FC 8 is the last Fedora Core release that officially can run as a dom0. There is a faint possibility that Fedora 13 (Kernel 2.6.33) might have it included but that's still in development. And neither do I want to compile it in myself...

The biggest problem could be the requirement of having "shared storage", in xen this is almost trivial to have. A workaround could be a VM running openfiler exporting iscsi drives but that's additional overhead I'd like to avoid.

I have really good experience with OpenSuSE 11.1 and running paravirtualised domUs.

Thanks for any input!

Martin
--
Martin Bach