Re: RAC no more HA after upgrading to 9.2.0.6?

  • From: Brian Wisniewski <brian_wisniewski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fabrizio.Magni@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 06:41:42 -0800 (PST)

Fabrizio, it sounds like you're using a cross-over cable as your interconnect
and you don't have a swtich in there - correct?

If so it isn't the Oracle release that is the problem.  There is an electronic
connectivity between the NIC cards when there isn't a switch between them and
it freaks out and takes a while for the server that is still 'active' to
realize what's occurring.

I ran into this exact same scenario on RHAS 2.1 when we had a crossover cable
as our interconnect.  2 nodes and no traffic on the 1 node due to some
'challenges' :-)  We are running Oracle 9.2.0.4.

We'd reboot the node that was inactive and the active node would freeze for
about 5 minutes.  I believe you can find this documented out in Metalink or in
the docs somewhere obscure.  That's why Oracle no longer recommends a
cross-over as your interconnect.

Anyhow - we put a cheap linksys switch in between the 2 nodes and haven't had
issues since then.

- Brian
Magni Fabrizio <Fabrizio.Magni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,
after upgrading a two nodes RAC from 9.2.0.4 to 9.2.0.6 I got a
surprise.
If a node don't see a link up on it's interconnect NIC than it doesn't
give anymore service.

For example, in my environment, when unplugging the interconnect one
node is evicted (rightly) but the other one, still up and running,
doesn't respond anymore as long as the interconnect link is down. If I
replug the cable the instance is back working again.

It means I cannot reboot one of the two nodes anymore since the other
would stop working.
In previous RAC version the behaviour was different and RAC guaranteed
high availability (sort of).

Is anyone experience the same issue?
Has anyone tried to unplug the crosscable or turn off the interconnect
switch in a 9.2.0.6?
What's the result?

Any feedback is welcome.
Fabrizio