RAC installation conflagration

  • From: "Henry Poras" <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:51:28 -0400

I'm working on a RAC installation (10.1.0.2) on RedHat LinuxAS3 with EMC
Clariion shared storage. The EMC devices have been linked to raw devices. I
can see them all if I run 'raw -qa'. They are also all entered in
/etc/sysconfig/rawdevices. The problem comes when I am trying to create the
Cluster Registry file in a raw device. What I get from OUI is a nondescript
error "An error occurred when trying to execute the query". The permissions
of the device are:
$ ls -l /dev/raw/rawN
Crw-rw----   1   root   oinstall     /dev/raw/rawN

When I change the ownerships of the underlying EMC device (the one which was
linked to the raw device in /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices) from root:root (660)
to root:oinstall (660) everything works. Nowhere have I seen it mentioned to
change the settings of this device, so I am wary in heading in this
direction.

There is a little bit more information in the installActions.log

*** Oracle Cluster Registry Page***
Calling Query fileQueries10.1.0.2.0  exists

filename = /dev/raw/rawN
Query Returned: true
Calling Query ClusterQueries1.7.3.0.0  IsItDir

PathName = /dev/raw/rawN
Query Returned: false
Calling Query ClusterQueries1.7.3.0.0  IsItRaw

PathName = /dev/raw/rawN
-->Query Returned: OPENFAILONDEV
Calling Query cfsprereqQueries1.1.0  isOHonCFS

oraclehome = /dev/raw/rawN

nodeList = node1,node2,

localNode = node1

Query Exception: RuntimeException
Query Exception Class: class oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException

Query Exception: RuntimeException
Query Exception Class: class oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException

Query Exception: RuntimeException
Query Exception Class: class oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException
*** Cancel Dialog:  ***
User Selected: Cancel

false
Error:*** Alert: Oracle Cluster Registry can exist only as a shared file
system file or as a shared raw partition ***
User Selected: Yes/OK

************
************
************  After changing ownership of underlying device
************
************

Calling Query fileQueries10.1.0.2.0  exists

filename = /dev/raw/rawN
Query Returned: true
Calling Query ClusterQueries1.7.3.0.0  IsItDir

PathName = /dev/raw/rawN
Query Returned: false
Calling Query ClusterQueries1.7.3.0.0  IsItRaw

PathName = /dev/raw/rawN
-->Query Returned: SUCCESS
Calling Query ClusterQueries1.7.3.0.0  ChkRawSpace

PathName = /dev/raw/rawN
Query Returned: 125
Calling Query ClusterQueries1.7.3.0.0  ChkRawSpace

PathName = /dev/raw/rawN
Query Returned: 125
Setting the 'TitleLabel' property to 'Oracle Cluster Registry'.
Setting the 'SubTitleLabel' property to ''.
Setting the 'Prompt' property to 'The Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) stores
cluster configuration and cluster database configuration. Specify a shared
raw device, or cluster filesystem file that will be visible by the same name
on all nodes of the cluster.
An OCR will be created for you., and will require approximately 100MB of
disk space.'.
Setting the 'TextLabel' property to 'Specify OCR Location :'.
Setting the 'BottomDescLabel' property to ''.
Setting the 'TextField ( s_ocrpartitionlocation )' property to
'/dev/raw/rawN'. Received the value from the UI page.

Anyone else ever see this?

Thanks.

Henry