Re: RAC in NAS

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:29:23 -0400

On 07/26/2006 09:10:03 PM, Mark Brinsmead wrote:

> A more relevant question to ask is whether the customer actually *needs*
> RAC.  Or 8 CPUs.  If they had not done enough research to know whether the
> storage layer they had chosen would even work, then chances are, they have
> not sized the hardware nor adequately researched the requirements for RAC,
> either.

Horizontal scaling is also known as crucifixion. RAC implementation without
careful planning and analysis is just that.

> If you're *certain* that you *must* use NAS (NFS), then be certain you do
> your homework when choosing your other components.  (Oops.  That's how we
> got here, isn't it?)  Redhat cannot (yet) support Asynch I/O with NFS -- the
> same may be true of other supported Linux distros, but I'm not certain.
> Perhaps you could use Solaris?  [Ooh!  Wouldn't *that* annoy IBM... ;-) ]

Asynch I/O is not that important. Oracle can emulate it using I/O slaves.
Granted,
it's not as good as the real thing, but you will not sufer much, either. Direct
I/O
is much more important and it is supported. FC5 is the sign of things to come.
It
does support full NFS4 version, with cient caching and async I/O included. EL5
is
likely to have those features, minus bugs, discovered by free beta testers, like
me.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com