RE: RAC and FREELISTS/FREELISTGROUPS

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:36:21 -0400

Jed,

Are you really doing dictionary managed?  I'm a bit fried, here at OOW, but, if
my brain is firing on all cylinders, you can do FREELISTS/FREELIST GROUPS with
locally managed tablespaces.  It's ASSM (Automatic Space Segment Management)
you need to stay away from if you want to be able to configure
FREELISTS/FREELIST GROUPS.

So, if you're really on dictionary managed, you should definitely move to
locally managed.

As to ASSM vs. MSSM, Jonathan Lewis looked into this when the feature was first
introduced, (10g, I think?) and concluded that ASSM is effectively equivalent
to 16 FREELISTS, in terms of concurrency.  I'm not aware of any changes to that
for 11g.  You might want to check his blog.  Also, if I bump into him, I'll ask
him to check his email when he has a chance, and weigh in on this thread.

Hope that helps,

-Mark