RAC and Dataguard

  • From: Viljo Hakala <hakala.viljo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:07:25 +0200

Hi,
We had a situation where  data guard is used in a maximum performance mode and
one (primary node) of the two RAC nodes failed after forceful reboot and
primary hadn't switched logs yet, but
the redo logs were of course available in ASM for the other instance. (
Actually, the motherboard fried, and we had to wait a few days for a new part. )

This means that the standby site would be missing some of the redo information
present in the redo logs of the primary RAC node.

How to remedy this situation to avoid standby not missing information from the
redo logs?

Would you mount the standby in recover standby mode and register these
unapplied redo logs manually for example:

ALTER DATABASE REGISTER LOGFILE '<archive destination with archive file>';

Would it work ? Is it safe? Or would we have to rebuild the standby once
primary node comes back?

We haven't tested it, so we waited until we got the new motherboard and until
we got the server backup and started switching and delivering logs again.

What happens when the primary node comes back and switches its redo logs? Will
these archive logs be skipped on the standby?

None of my colleagues were certain about this. so that's why I'm reaching out
on this issue?

TIA,

Viljo