Re: RAC Interconnect

  • From: "Anand Rao" <panandrao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:23:49 +0530

Corrigendum

"10g RAC CRS may allow load-balancing over the VIP".

not talking of VIP here, typo error. load balancing is definitely possible
in 10g RAC. pls ignore the VIP comment.

also, i've got a whiff of the rumour that LLT could be de-supported by
Oracle, so in any case, you are better off with UDP in terms of performance
and reliability.

thanks
anand

On 24/11/06, Anand Rao <panandrao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alex,

It would not a good idea to recommend a single interconnect based on just
the user count.

i could have 5000 users, each generating only 10K of inter-node traffic.
so, that about 50MB/s. so, user count is not the correct yardstick.

you have to measure the interconnect traffic generated by each database
(from the application) and then decide. for testing, don't run both the
databases together, you won't see a "per application usage".

measure the traffic generated from each database with the application
going full throttle. if you cannot simulate that, then you have no choice
but to run the production system with both databases and then measure.

so, you could do with just 1 or maybe 2 but load-balancing between them
will be a Veritas/Solaris responsibility. 10g RAC CRS may allow
load-balancing over the VIP, not sure.
Gopal?

guess you are on Solaris 10, so the netstat command should help to capture
the interconnect traffic. i guess there is another command introduced in
Solaris 10. I haven't used it, but i hope the Solaris Management Suite will
provide some good graphical detail of interconnect traffic.

you will get ~90-95 MB/s sustained, depending on the card and the latency.
i don't know how good LLT is compared to UDP. i would suggest UDP (life is
easier) with some good tuning of UDP buffers at the OS layer. You should
also look at tuning the TCP buffers, though it is not directly related to
the interconnect.

hope this helps.

thanks
anand