RE: RAC / Database Services / Load Balancing / TAF Configuration

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:46:06 -0800

>>>1.  From what I understand, server-side load balancing is
>>>set up when you configure the listeners to register with
>>>each other

Please forgive if this is an ignorant question, but
why would you plan to load balance before determining
whether the entire load can be satisfied on a single
node first? That is, if you take a workload that only
demands, say, 50% of a single server and spread it
nice, thin and evenly across several RAC nodes, you
might not like what you see (inject sarcastic tone of
voice).

Let me guess, you are migrating from Unix to Linux
and presume you will need a bunch of those "little
Intel-compatible servers" to match what you are migrating
from? Well, if you are migrating from a Unix box
that is on the order of 4 or 5 years old, you could easily
get by with a single 4-way dual-core AMD server.