RAC / Database Services / Load Balancing / TAF Configuration

  • From: "Dulay, Kristin" <Kristin_Dulay@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:22:44 -0500

We are currently in the process of migrating to RAC. I've been going through
otn docs, white papers and discussions on 10.2 TAF, Load Balancing and the
use of Services, however I think I am a liitle confused. Here are my
questions:

1.  From what I understand, server-side load balancing is set up when you
configure the listeners to register with each other (remote_listener init
parameter). Can you please explain how this works with connection pools
compared with individual/short lived connections?    How does Runtime
Connection Load Balancing integrate with this (or does it?)?
2.  What would be the effect of enabling (10.2) TAF for Oracle Forms/Reports
applications?
3.  Is there any difference between TAF policy set up through client
tnsnames, dbms_service, srvctl, EM?
4.  Has anyone played around/worked with Database Services to partition your
multiple instance database based on type of application?  Please share your
experience.
5.  Also, I noticed that if I created and started a service using
dbms_service, it doesn't show up when I do a "srvctl status service" nor in
DBCA.  I am able to see it in lsnrctl status though.  And I am able to
connect remotely using the service.  When I create it with DBCA, everything
looks fine.  Would there be any differences in function/performance?

Thanks!!