Re: RAC Archivelog mode and RMAN

  • From: "Haroon A. Qureshi" <haroon_a_qureshi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:15:39 -0800 (PST)

thanks for the advice.  i wasn't able to find anything on worthwhile on
metalink, so based what i did find and what i think the process should be, i've
put together the following outline for enabling a 10g RAC db for archive log
mode.  the part that confused me is handling the cluster database parameter.
the log_archive_start parameter is deprecated in 10g as well.  i thought i
would share it with everyone, in case they needed it...

1.  Shut down all but one instances of the database

2.  alter system set cluster_database=false
scope=spfile;

3.  shut down and mount the instance
4.  Set the required parameters.

SQL>
ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_format='arch_%t_%s_%r.arc' scope=SPFILE;

System
altered.

SQL>
ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest='<shared location>' scope=SPFILE;

System
altered.

5.  Enable ARCHIVELOG mode

SQL>
alter database archivelog;

Database
altered.

6.  Set cluster_database=true again.

SQL>
alter system set cluster_database=true scope=spfile;

System
altered.

7.  Shut down and restart all the instances.

8.  verify archive log mode
SQL> archive log list;