RAC 11gR1 changing control files

  • From: "CRISLER, JON A" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:23:40 +0000

I ran into a situation where we have 5 control files, and one of these control
files is going into a ASM diskgroup used for online redo logs.  We are also
using a storage snapshot product (NetApp Snapshot Manager for Oracle).
Normally the product would not get a snapshot on a volume that only has redo,
but since it has a control file on it, we are then forced to track snapshots
for redo, which is very expensive in resources.  The fix is to drop the control
file from that ASM diskgroup.

Which brings me to my question: can I change the control_file parameter to omit
that specific control file (I will still have 4 other copies) and bounce the
instances in a rolling fashion? Or do all instances have to be shutdown so that
the control file parameter is always consistent ?